Skip to main content

Estimated reading time: 6-7 minutes

SALT LAKE CITY — Crews began demolishing an apartment building under construction in Sugar House overnight after it caught fire, prompting the evacuation of hundreds of nearby residents and creating a sticky situation for firefighters due to a high risk of building collapse.

Demolition of the building began Wednesday night and work continued through the morning as hot spots continued to burn, Salt Lake Fire officials said.

Salt Lake fire officials said affected residents and businesses would remain evacuated overnight Thursday, and said Highland Drive from 2100 South to Sugarmont Drive would remain closed due to demolition and fire suppression efforts. .

On Thursday, the Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development offered to help affected businesses file insurance claims and relocate. They said businesses in the collapse zone have been asked to remain closed for the time being, but said they expect those businesses will soon be allowed to reopen.

To request assistance from the Economic Development Department, business owners can call 801-535-7200.

The fire, which burned through the six-story building at 1040 E. 2220 South, started late Tuesday evening and firefighters were unable to quickly contain it as parts of the building continued to collapse, said Salt Lake Fire Captain Tony. Stowe.

Crews battled the fire all day Wednesday. Most of the roughly 1,000 residents forced to evacuate nearby buildings were able to return home on Thursday, but a few residents who lived in apartments immediately confronted with the fire remain out of their homes.

The cause of the fire remained unknown Thursday. Fire officials said officers from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would join the investigation.

No serious injuries were reported, but Salt Lake Fire Chief Karl Lieb said one resident suffered a “minor injury.”

The Sugar House Chamber and Community Alliance noted on social media that businesses in the area were also closed for the day. The chamber asked people to shop at affected businesses after the roads were cleared “to help them recover from this closure”.

A “very dangerous” fire

The blaze ignited around 11 p.m. Tuesday, bringing a response from about 70 firefighters and more than a dozen fire trucks and engines from multiple agencies, Stowe said.

After several hours of firefighting – and as they finished their 48-hour shift – the night crew members were replaced by another platoon, according to the Stowe.

Crews were battling the flames from outside the building and set up a 150ft “collapse zone” around it due to the risk of potential collapse.

“It’s very dangerous. … That’s one of the reasons we’re defensive about it. We can’t hire anyone, we don’t want to hire anyone in a structure like this where there’s no “There’s not really any security of life. … Almost everything has fallen inward,” Stowe said.

Stowe said Wednesday it was “far too early” to know if the fire was suspicious.

“What becomes of concern is that the scaffolding and the trellis are on the outside of the structure to protect the workers from the various weather events that we have been experiencing lately,” Stowe said. “But with that also come propane cylinders and heaters.”

Neighborhood Evacuations

The Sugarmont Apartments, located immediately north of the building, were evacuated. At one point the building had smoke coming from its exterior and some windows were lost.

“I’m sure there will be some water damage and probably some heat exposure damage,” Stowe said.

A resident of the apartments saw flames appear to reach them.

“I just hope everyone is out of the building and no one is hurt. It can all be replaced,” he said. “I’ll be fine. … I’m just glad I’m not in the building.”

The man said he was about to go to bed and “heard someone knocking on the door. And it was the police, and they said the building next door was on fire and you have to leave immediately”.

He ran downstairs, got in his car and drove off. Later he gathered with others and watched the fire burn from a nearby street.

“I woke up to the fire alarm completely delirious. Honestly, I thought the sun was coming up, people were knocking on my door. I don’t really know what’s going on. Then I looked out my window and I saw the whole building was on fire,” resident Drew Noble said.

“I kind of ran away and didn’t grab a jacket. The paramedics gave me a blanket, and now I’m here,” he said, taking refuge in an evacuation shelter in the piece.

I kind of ran and didn’t grab a jacket. The paramedics gave me a blanket, and now I’m here.

–Drew Noble

Other nearby residents said they heard “crash” and glass breaking sounds after the fire started.

“We had several explosions and stuff like that, maybe compressors, maybe fuel canisters,” Stowe said. He described the fire as “free burning” as the building has “a lot of exposed wood”.

A shelter for evacuated residents was initially established at Forest Dale Golf Course. The Red Cross then moved the shelter to a meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 2005 S. 900 East. Utah Transit Authority buses were also available for evacuees at Fiddlers Elbow, 1063 E. 2100 South and 1100 E. Wilmington Avenue.

The Red Cross said it had helped more than 200 people evacuated from their homes.

Most residents chose to evacuate elsewhere, Stowe said.

Security and closures

Lieb said the department is working on a demolition plan for the building to make the area safe for returning residents.

A statement from the Salt Lake City Fire Department urged residents to exercise caution when handling debris from the fire that landed on their property. Residents should use respirators – N95 or better – and gloves when handling items and soak debris or ashes with a garden hose to ensure they no longer pose a risk of fire.

A firefighter pours water on a fire in a building under construction near 1040 E. 2220 South at Sugar House in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.  The fire, which broke out on Tuesday evening, prompted the evacuation overnight of hundreds of local residents.
A firefighter pours water on a fire in a building under construction near 1040 E. 2220 South at Sugar House in Salt Lake City on Wednesday. The fire, which broke out on Tuesday evening, prompted the evacuation overnight of hundreds of local residents. (Photo: Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)

“The scene of the fire will continue to generate smoke,” the statement said. “Residents who have respiratory problems or other people at high risk of smoke contamination should consider moving. High risk people who cannot or do not wish to move should wear respiratory protection (N95 masks or better ). All residents should ensure that windows and doors are closed until the smoke clears.”

On Wednesday, Crews closed 900 East and 2100 South to 2200 South. “We have a lot of tips. So if you don’t need to be in the area, we ask people to avoid the area,” Stowe said.

He asked people to view the fire and demolition from a “safe distance”, noting that after the fire broke out, crowds of people took to the streets to view it.

“People are drawn to it, it’s something you don’t see too often, and it makes operating with these big devices very difficult,” he said.

contributorLinda Williams, Karah Brackin, Deanie Wimmer, Matt Rascon, Lori Pritchard, Tamara Vaifanua, Debbie Worthen, Bridger Beal-Cvetko


Latest Salt Lake County Articles

Ashley Imlay covers state politics and breaking news for A lifelong Utahn, Ashley also worked as a reporter for the Deseret News and is a graduate of Dixie State University.

More stories that might interest you