Spike in new home gardeners increases demand for organic consumables, pots and planters
CLEVELAND, May 25, 2021 / PRNewswire / – The US outdoor living market has had a bumper year in 2020, in part due to a boom in home gardening activity amid the COVID-19 pandemic, new analysis shows of the Freedonia group. With home orders, travel restrictions and other public health measures, many bored consumers at home have chosen gardening as a hobby, increasing sales of a range of gardening supplies – pots and planters with consumables and watering products such as new generation lightweight hoses. For example:
- 26% of adults surveyed August 2020 The Freedonia Group’s national online consumer survey edition reported that they had opened a vegetable garden due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The nationwide gardening boom led to record sales at many garden supply retailers (as well as supply shortages early in the pandemic, when demand increased).
- Major suppliers of gardening products like Scotts Miracle-Gro also saw robust growth in their consumer segments for 2020, and revenues remain strong so far in 2021.
Increased consumer investment in gardening and time spent outdoors has generally supported demand in other categories of outdoor living, especially products that have made outdoor spaces more functional (landscaping, outdoor structures), more comfortable (outdoor furniture, lighting, heating elements), or even improved their aesthetic appeal (outdoor decor and other landscaping products).
Sales of gardening products in the United States are expected to be close 8 billion dollars in 2021
New analysis from the Freedonia Group reveals that sales of gardening supplies grew nearly 9% in 2020 and will see continued (albeit slower) growth at $ 7.9 billion in 2021:
- While 2020 has set a high base for demand for gardening supplies, the additional spending in 2021 will be fueled by resupply from retailers, continued interest in gardening and rising prices.
- Key opportunities exist in pots and planters, as they can be used even where garden space is limited, and organic consumables, as home gardeners tend to be concerned about their environmental impact and are willing to pay. a premium to mitigate it.
While gardening is expected to remain above pre-pandemic levels, some households are expected to revert to pre-COVID-19 gardening habits once the pandemic is better controlled and the rate of new hobbyists entering the market is expected. slow down considerably.
You want to know more?
Outdoor Products 2021 is now available from the Freedonia group. This study analyzes the US market for consumer grade outdoor products for residential DIY (DIY) applications and excludes products intended for professional or commercial use. Historical data is provided for 2019 and 2020 and forecast for 2021 and 2025 for outdoor products at the manufacturer level in current dollars (i.e., not adjusted for inflation). Values do not take into account retail mark-ups.
Outdoor living products are segmented into the following applications:
- lawn and yard maintenance
- outdoor cooking, entertainment and recreation
- exterior design and landscape materials
About the Freedonia Group – The Freedonia Group, a division of MarketResearch.com, is the leading international industrial research company, providing our clients with product analyzes, market forecasts, industry trends and market share information. From one-person consulting firms to global conglomerates, our analysts provide businesses with unbiased and reliable market research and analysis to help them make important business decisions. With over 100 studies published each year, we support over 90% of Fortune 500 industrial companies. Find ready-made studies at https://www.freedoniagroup.com/ or contact us for a personalized search: +1 440.842.2400.
SOURCE The Freedonia Group