The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a Vietnamese state university. Founded in 2008, VGU is a joint venture based on close cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, aiming to become the leading research university in Vietnam and the region. VGU’s strategy is to customize excellent German-language study programs in the fields of engineering, computer science and economics to meet the needs of Vietnamese higher education. Being a joint effort of Vietnamese and German institutions, VGU follows the successful German model and standards regarding academic and administrative structures.
Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is looking for a highly qualified full-time Lecturer in Building construction and structural design. Applicants should hold a master’s or doctoral degree in this or a closely related field and have a strong research background. Relevant international experience is an advantage. The successful candidate will be part of an international network of universities and research institutes.
In the role of a Lecturer, the successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the Architecture Program (ARC). The expected workload for conducting in-class courses is 08 academic hours per week, totaling 240 academic hours per year (1 academic hour equals 45 minutes).
Teaching should reflect current research methods and results and includes lectures mainly on the following modules (subjective to add Structural Design I and II in the future):
- Construction of buildings I
- Construction of buildings II
- Construction of buildings III
- Construction of buildings IV
Named courses are subject to change based on realistic program needs and joint agreement between the lecturer, relevant academic coordinators, and the dean/vice-dean in charge of teaching. Classes may require conducting relevant laboratory activities and/or advising student projects.
The holder of this job is also responsible for supervising license dissertations.
As a faculty member of a research-oriented university, the successful candidate is expected to contribute significantly to the scientific profile of VGU through innovation. This includes, but is not limited to, comprehensive basic research activities as well as applied research in the areas of Building construction and/or structural design. The ability to apply and generate externally funded research projects is highly desirable.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the development of Architecture program by participating in the administrative, marketing and other public activities of the program in consultation with the academic coordinator of the study program and the German partner university, namely Anhalt University of Applied Sciences. She or he is also expected to actively contribute to the academic self-administration of the Engineering school and the university by agreeing to stand for election to the Faculty Council, Academic Senate and/or other bodies.
Candidates must have at least a Master’s degree (having a PhD is a significant advantage) with a major in Building construction, structural design, or a closely related field, preferably from a well-known international university. A current professorial title will be a plus, as experience and understanding of the German higher education system and methodology. Other requirements include:
- An outstanding academic record with a focus on Building construction, structural designor other areas closely related to these.
- Proven expertise in Building construction
- Solid track record of successful research activities and publications in international and peer-reviewed journals in the related field
- Proven teaching experience with strong personal motivation combined with a passion for teaching and research
- Industry experience is an asset
- Demonstrated excellent command of English:
Applicants from non-English speaking countries must include one of the following valid English proficiency certificates; IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 548 (PBT), TOEFL 84 (iBT), TOEFL 212 (CBT), CEFR level B2 or Aptis level C1 at the time of application submission. Alternatively, applicants who do not hold a valid English language proficiency certificate at the time of submission should be assessed internally at VGU to meet the criteria listed above.
Native English speakers (e.g. from the United States, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, Australia, Canada or New Zealand) do not have to submit a certificate of English proficiency if the interviewers are satisfied with the level of English of the interviewees at the time of the interview.
To apply, please send your application (along with the following documents in a single PDF max. size: 5MB) to [email protected] with the subject line “Building construction and structural design_[Your Name]”
Your application should include:
- Basic Information Form (Please To downloadcomplete this form electronically and submit it with your application)
- A cover letter indicating your interest in joining VGU
- Curriculum Vitae (including list of publications)
- Scans of university diplomas, university transcripts and other relevant certificates
- Scans of language certificates (if applicable)
- References illustrating your professional and academic background, including reference contact details (if available, highly appreciated)
- Assessment results for teaching (if available)
All applications will be reviewed and assessed by VGU’s international application review team.
To learn more about our benefits, as well as our application process, please visit our recruitment webpage: https://vgu.edu.vn/lecturers