Johnstown Fire – FOX8
An early morning house fire in Johnstown sent one person to a burn care center on Wednesday morning.
First responders were dispatched to block 600 of Avenue IoIlite at around 3:00 a.m.
A fire marshal confirmed to us that it was an electrical fire that started in a stairwell and quickly spread to the unit next door.
Johnstown Fire Chief Bob Statler said there were no smoke detectors in the house.
He says there should be at least one smoke detector on every floor of a residence.
“Of course, with the city, a lot of structures are older structures. Some of them have been improved but most are original. They have old wiring. There may be issues with splicing newer and older cables. Sometimes that’s the cause. What ends up happening is that fires go undetected for a period of time before anyone sees them, ”he says.
Statler adds that if you live in an older house, make sure any wiring issues, switch issues, or broken lights are fixed by an electrician (don’t do it yourself).
Crews were able to quickly tackle the blaze, which Statler says is essential when it comes to townhouses due to the speed at which it can spread to neighboring homes.
The unit where the fire started, and the one next to it, were badly damaged.